The IBM Elastic Storage Server (ESS) is a big data storage system that combines Power servers, storage enclosures, and disks along with IBM Spectrum Scale and IBM Spectrum Scale RAID technology, providing analytic and technical computing storage and data services.
This instructor-led course provides an overview of the IBM Elastic Storage Server. It reviews benefits, features for protection from data loss, storage terms, hardware components, software components, and network considerations.
The course details the monitoring tasks to manage the Elastic Storage Server environment including working with the command line interface, working with graphical user interface, and to manage both file systems and filesets. It also reviews data collection and contact procedures for IBM service and support.
After completing this course, you should be able to:
• Relate the data protection features used in IBM Elastic Storage Server
• Distinguish between traditional RAID and IBM Spectrum Scale RAID
• Compile the requirements for the IBM Elastic Storage Server solution
• Apply the GUI and CLI to manage an IBM Elastic Storage Server
• Relate the process to create and delete a file system and a fileset in an IBM Elastic Storage Server environment
This is a base course for individuals who are involved in administering, configuring, upgrading, and monitoring the IBM Elastic Storage Server.
The following courses or equivalent knowledge is recommended prior to this course:
• Introduction to Storage (SS01G)
• IBM Spectrum Scale Basic Administration for Linux (H005G)
Unit 1. Introducing the ESS
• Discuss the benefits for ESS
• Assess the recoverability features of IBM Spectrum Scale RAID
• Define ESS storage structure and terms
• Paraphrase how data is protected in an ESS
Unit 2. Defining the ESS components
• Summarize the ESS hardware
• Summarize the ESS software
• Identify the ESS network requirements
Unit 3. Monitoring the ESS
• Illustrate the CLI status commands for ESS hardware and configuration
• Relate how to manage ESS file systems
• Relate how to manage ESS filesets
• Relate how to manage ESS using the GUI
• Summarize IBM service tools for ESS